Saturday, November 15, 2008

aureen's brain farts

What do you want to watch on stage? (10 minutes)
I am primarily interested in stage work that is experimental and is thinking outside the box. Something that is innovative. I guess the question is what is innovative to me. I think I’ve seen a lot of theaterical works that are innovative in its concept and its presentation but there’s always a fall back pattern to what is comfortable. I have to also admit that I have not seen many experimental theater. Many of the shows I’ve seen are mostly from Bindlestiff or other ethnic based theater groups. I have also seen a few Broadway musicals. Perhaps this is not enough to truly judge the works I have seen. Maybe the question for me is not what I want to see on stage, but maybe why I don’t watch theater.
All I know is I am so annoyed of the same story being told. The immigration story, the identity story, the conflict between US and homeland, the heterosexual love story, all these stories have become redundant and traditional in the “community based theaters.” A more interesting stage play for me would revolve surrealism and dark comedy and no more melodramatic stuff. I cannot sit through sappy monologues. So what if your gay? What about it? So what if you suffered racism? What about it? I am more interested at how we internalize our oppressions and how it affects those around us. Since I am so tired of anything melodramatic, I gravitate towards more comedic plays. Or at least a balance of the two.
Things I really liked: Passing Strange

What can you bring to stage? (10 minutes)
I think I have a lot of good ideas that have yet to be harnessed. I think I have a lot of talents that I haven’t been able to tap into just yet. I think I am funny, I have comedic timing. I usually have some type of social commentary to be made with anything I do. Although I make fun of a lot of things, I am an extremely sensitive and serious with the things I do. I am so tired right now but I just want to get through this ten minutes thing. Anyway what I have to offer is my passion in artistic expression. I am so tired right now, this girl on bart is having a break up moment with her man. Wow, drama. She’s telling him how he owes her money. Women, why do we always suffer the financial burden? I think its all across the board, any women we see this type of thing happening. Is that why we get pimped? But some women do manipulate men to their advantage. Women of color and men of color have an interesting dynamic. There’s a lot more to deconstruct. The levels of oppression complicates the basic love story. Right? I think so. Anyway see, that’s what I have to offer. I think I have a way of translating real life to page and stage. I like to eavesdrop. That’s a skill right? I think I gravitate towards stories.


What is it that is holding you back? What you can do about it? (10 minutes)
A lot of whats holding me back is financial strains. I think when I first started going to the stiff, I was working and going to school. I’m at that same situation now and it hinders my art. I have never fully committed to art because of fear. Fear that it wouldn’t make mmoney or its not prestigious enough. Fear that the art I produce will be ridiculed or be criticized in some way. I think because I don’t have a car, and because I’m always broke has always delayed my artistic growth. I wish that I could just dive in to it. I think there is also a sense of obligation that constrains my art. For example, right now I feel an obligation to the greater Filipino community is much more urgent in affecting change. That’s why I chose to major in AAS. I feel like I want to help people directly as opposed to through art. You know the saying if you want to change the world you become a politician or an artist. I guess I’m conforming to the political side. Is that wrong? I don’t know. All I know is my passion in art will never die out. The fire will always burn. Sometimes I have this pressure to accomplish things while I’m young, but that’s not exactly true or realistic. What else are you supposed to do for the rest of your life if you already accomplished everything in your younger years. An artist always learns. An artist yearns to learn. An artist always wants growth. So anyway back to my schpeal, I want to commit to art after I finish my obligation, but then the question rises, how come I cant have that same sense of urgency in art. Or sharing that urgency through art as opposed to a thesis. I guess AAS provides me the tools to become a stronger artist.

No comments: